Near the End
>> Thursday, April 15, 2010
I am quickly coming to the end of my current read, a book I am finding AMAZING. What it is doesn't matter. It could be any REALLY good book that fits this post. When I get to the end, where there are only a few more chapters left and the action is good, I get conflicted. Part of me says, "Yes! I'm almost done. One more book read. And I FINALLY get to see how it all comes together in the end – of course, that's assuming it DOES come together ..."
Another part of me thinks, "NO! Not yet! I'm not ready for it to end! How can there only be five (or two or whatever number fits the bill) chapters left? There's so much I want to know – all of the answers can't possibly be in that small number of chapters!" It doesn't matter if the chapters are 20 pages each, I still think that! LOL
And here I am again, warring with myself. I wanna read faster – sit and read until it's all finished, not breaking for more than the kids absolutely NEED – so I can find out how it all ends. I wanna read slower – put my book down, screw around on Facebook, read e-mail, anything else – so I can savor the story. It's like chewing slowly, savoring the last bite of your absolute favorite food. Enjoy it while it lasts, do what you can to prolong the enjoyment – but don't overdo it. You don't want it to backfire. You don't want to be stuck reading too fast – so fast you can't mentally process it all. You don't want to be stuck reading too slowly – so slowly that the story becomes fragmented. You're stuck trying to find the perfect balance. But how? Where is it?
I don't know. All I know is that I'm finishing this book TONIGHT – no matter what! I am finishing this book, writing a review (if I feel so inclined, or if I've agreed to do so before starting it), rating it on Goodreads, and deciding what to read next.
What to read next ...
Really? I have to decide that already? Didn't I JUST START this book?







2 comments:
I completely get where you are coming from!! There are some books that I just LOVE so much that I don't want them to end!! But, I do want them to end, so I can read another book!! Then there are other books that drag on and on and I wish the end would come!! LOL
Exactly! LOL I have been on both ends of that spectrum. Some I read quickly just to get OVER WITH so I can move on to something else! ;-)
Post a Comment